2017-02-15 / Front Page

Investigators say propane explosion blew Coplin Plantation man out of his house

By Donna Perry Special to the Irregular


Eustis Fire Chief Sprague Wise said a Coplin Plantation man was blown out the door of his house at 113 Porcupine Trail after he finished cooking beans and then lit his tobacco pipe. 
(Eustis Fire Department photo) Eustis Fire Chief Sprague Wise said a Coplin Plantation man was blown out the door of his house at 113 Porcupine Trail after he finished cooking beans and then lit his tobacco pipe. (Eustis Fire Department photo) COPLIN PLANTATION — A man was blasted out of a house at 113 Porcupine Trail on Monday night when he lit his tobacco pipe and set off an apparent propane explosion, officials said.

Timothy Henderson of Ellsworth suffered burns on his head and was taken to a hospital, Eustis Fire Chief Sprague Wise said Tuesday.

The fire that destroyed the two-story house in Hedgehog Development was under investigation by Kenneth Mac- Master of the Office of the Maine State Fire Marshal.

Investigators were pretty sure it was a propane explosion, Wise said.

The chief said information he was given from the state investigator was that the man had finished cooking beans and lit his tobacco pipe. As soon as he flicked the Bic lighter, he was out in the snow.

Wise said the man was in an ambulance when he arrived, so he did not get a chance to talk to him and get his name.

About 15 firefighters from Eustis, Carrabassett Valley and Rangeley responded to the 8 p.m. call and found flames coming out every window and glass shards in the road, Wise said.

“We were not able to go into the house,” he said. “It is a full loss.”

Return to top