2017-04-19 / Front Page

MSAD #58 renovation referendum April 25

By Dee Menear
Irregular Staff Writer

KINGFIELD — A Public Hearing was held April 13 regarding proposed MSAD #58 renovation projects totaling $1.2 million, more than half of which will be forgiven by the State Department of Education. The district is eligible for a zero interest, 10-year bond with annual payments of approximately $54,000.

MSAD #58 Superintendent Susan Pratt explained the district applied for four renovation projects a year ago and were approved for two. The program targets Priority 1 projects which include health, safety and compliance repairs.

Proposed renovations at Mt. Abram High School are related to indoor air quality, and renovations at Phillips Elementary School are related to Americans with Disabilities Act compliance.

A referendum will be held in district towns Tuesday, April 25 from 3 to 7 p.m. so voters can decide whether or not to favor authorizing the board to borrow “an amount not to exceed $1,210,752” through the State of Maine’s zero interest rate/loan forgiveness Revolving Renovation Fund program.

If approved, the State Department of Education will forgive approximately 53 percent of the total approved loan amount, leaving the district responsible for just over 47 percent of the project costs.

Pratt stated the district had 18 months from hiring the architect to complete the project. If voters approve, Pratt is hopeful work can start as early as this summer.

Pratt noted absentee ballots were currently available in each town office.

Return to top